FMFA Manager
Sign in to follow this  
GaryG

Capital Blue

MANAGER UNVEILED TO THE MEDIA

New Chelsea manager Gary Goodson has been unveiled at their club press conference this afternoon after making the switch from London rivals Crystal Palace on Thursday.  Coming somewhat out of the blue, Chelsea acted quickly after sacking previous manager Pip Aldridge at the weekend after some woeful performances this season, and identified Goodson as their number one target.

When asked how it felt to be announced as the new Chelsea manager, Goodson replied “I am absolutely delighted to be here and to be given this chance at such a prestigious club.  It came out of the blue as I was happy at Palace but when the opportunity to come to one of the biggest clubs in the country is put in front of you, then it was one I could not turn down”.

The appointment has been met with some scepticism from Chelsea supporters who have expressed their reservations over his suitability for the role considering Goodson has not managed a so-called big club.  When put to him, he replied “I understand that and it is my job to convince those doubters that I am the right man for the job.  I can assure all our fans that I will be doing everything in my power to bring success to this club.  I want to provide a team that they are proud of and one they enjoy coming to see week in week out”.

This has given the impression that Goodson will adopt a more adventurous style of play, compared to the solid and steady style he brought to Crystal Palace.  When pushed on the matter, he replied “You have to look at the players you have got and play to their strengths.  If we had played open and expansive football at Palace, we would have been played off the park most weeks.  That’s no disrespect to the players at Palace as they were a great bunch of lads and a joy to work with but they have different strengths and weaknesses to the squad I have inherited here.  You have to show you can adapt and that is what I am hoping to prove here”.

When asked if he planned on making wholesale changes to the squad, Goodson said “I think in my time at Palace, you could see that is not my style.  I like to give every player a chance, assess their strengths and weaknesses and then go from there.  Between now and the end of the season it gives me some time to do this, then come the end of the season, I will be in a better place to make a judgement.  However make no mistake about it, we have some fantastic players here and overall the squad is very strong so I do not anticipate making wholesale changes”.

The move has prompted certain sections of the Crystal Palace support, to blast their former manager for leaving at such short notice, and to a London rival.  Goodson did not duck the question and said “I understand some of the fans will be disappointed and they are entitled to their opinion.  What I will say is that I feel I have left them in a better position than when I first took over.  2 seasons ago, they couldn’t have imagined playing in the Premier League, let alone the Anglo American Trophy but we did that together this season.  I think the majority of fans will appreciate my efforts and I wish them well, but my sole focus is now on Chelsea Football Club going forwards”.

Goodson’s first game in charge sees him at home to Leicester City at Stamford Bridge on Sunday evening and it will be interesting to see how he sets up his side for that game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WINNING STARTS ALL ROUND

Chelsea got off to the perfect start to life under new manager Gary Goodson as they beat Leicester City 3-1 at Stamford Bridge on Sunday evening.  Despite being aided with two sending’s off for the visitors, Chelsea put in a good display, dominating possession and passing the ball around well and fans left happy after seeing their club pick up the three points.

Goals from Dybala, Götze and Mina were enough for the home side, despite going behind to a (name) goal that put the visitors ahead.  Despite the setback, the Blues were playing well and creating a number of chances.  The first flashpoint came on 19 minutes when former Chelsea defender, Cesar Azpilicueta was sent off for a professional foul.  Things got even worse for Leicester as they were reduced to nine men on 54 minutes when Aymeric Laporte received his marching orders for his second bookable offence.

With the balance of power now firmly with Chelsea, they took control of the game and three goals followed to crown a very good performance from Goodson’s side.  After the game, a naturally delighted manager was pleased with his side’s performance “I was very pleased with how we played.  Leicester made it difficult for us and showed why they are regarded as a top side in this league so to get the three points is a great outcome for us”.

Due to other results, the win actually saw Chelsea jump four places, up to 6th and above former club Crystal Palace, whom suffered a heavy defeat in their first game since the post Goodson era.  Though they are expected to name a manager within the next 24 hours, they would have been furthest from Goodson’s mind as he stood in the Chelsea dugout for the first time.

It was also a rare good night for the clubs u23 side who managed to win their first game of the season at the 14th attempt.  Prior to their game against Sunderland, they have picked up just one point all season and are marooned at the bottom of the table.  Goodson has already gone on record to state he is appalled at the state of the u23 side and has vowed to sort the shambles out though has said it will take time.  The u23’s is an area he takes a keen interest in, as can be seen by the Crystal Palace u23 squad he left behind but it is going to be a long process one feels to get his current sides development squad up to the same standard as his previous club.